Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Wild Wing-ding Wednesday!

So yes, I went home over the weekend. Did I do anything I intended to do while at home? NO! I still have the same hair color (which is fading and growing out really bad) and the same amount of tattoos. Oh, well, there's always next time I go home.

Actually, going home made me realize just how much I miss my old room. This dorm room I'm in now is smaller and shared with another girl. I sleep on the dangerous top bunk of course. Also, this room has barely any fun decorations. All I have here to decorate is pictures of my friends, some fuzzy dice, and a picture Alyssa drew. This room is not colorful or fun like my old room is. It's sad because that may never be my room again for longer than a month (during winter breaks). But at least when I get my appartment I will not have to share my room with someone else, and I will actually have enough room to bring some wacky decorations.

I'm going down to Bradley tonight since I didn't this weekend. Apparently a friend of ours is leaving for Iraq very soon, and we're throwing a kind of going away party. Well, we're going to a bar. Cruisen's allows 19 and older in, and Wednesdays are Wild Wing-dings! For those of you not familiar with Wild Wing-dings, this means that only on Wednesdays you get a pitcher of any beer and a plate of chicken wings for $3. It's quite the deal, and I'd take wing-ding over "Thong Thursdays" at the Lucky Lady any time. And yes, the Lucky Lady is such a sleazy bar that they do hold an event every week called "Thong Thursday."

I am probably starting to worry my mom and/or sister at this point, so I will turn to the subject of actual school. I got back an extra credit quiz today for Calculus II (I really should be excluded from taking these since my grade is well over 100% at this point), and I received eleven points out of a possible ten extra credit points. Why you ask? I have no idea what I did to earn this extra point. I also got extra credit in my Discrete Math class since I told my professor he was being nice to us. this extra point turned a B+ test into an A- test! This test was originally a D, but he gave us a chance to make up points, and I got it up to 89.4%. In this class I have received 100% on all other quizes and homework, so I am in pretty good shape.

Today I am applying to be a tutor for other ISU students. I have to turn in an application and take a math proficiency test. The tutoring job pays minimum wage, but I figure any little bit helps. If I do get the job (and hopefully I will), I will have even less free time than I do now. I guess that would mean no more mid-week trips to Bradley to see the boyfriend... Oh well, school comes before anything, as my mom has always said.

I have now completed most of what I need to in the first section of requirements to become a teacher. All I have to do now is an online test, another test that I am signed up for, fill out a sheet saying that I have had positive experiences with children or youth, and write a reflexive essay, which I will do in a class that I plan to take next semester. If I get the tutoring job and do well at it, that will count for that sheet. Oh yes, I also have to get department approval, which my advisor already said she would give to me in December if I keep my grades up. It's already half-way through the semester, and I have all As and high Bs so far. Meeting with my advisor really cleared up everything that I need to do. It turns out that I only have three more gen-eds to finish! I am actually pretty confident that teaching math would make me happy as a profession. Well, I guess time will tell.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara Sherman said...

Wow, I'm amazed I am referred to twice in this post. And yes, Thong Thursday does scare me.

Glad to hear you are all over your teaching requirements and good news on the A's and B's. If you do get the math tutor job, just don't overdo the hours. Only take what you can handle.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home